I have a theory that the weather affects people’s moods. I
know that I am a much happier person when the sunny is shining, it’s about 75
degrees and there’s a breeze whipping my hair in the right direction. On a day
like today in Chicago, cold, rainy, snowy even in some parts of town, everyone
rushes inside to make hot drinks and curl up on the couch or in bed for hours
on end. Or at least, that’s what feels appropriate. If there are long enough
periods of ongoing rain, I start to sneeze. I am literally allergic to bad
weather.
We’ve had an especially long winter this year. Somewhere
along the lines of seven months. That is too many. It’s more than half a year.
Everyone’s moral is slow, confidence and motivation levels are slow. It’s just
a glum feeling, ya know? My first grade teacher was effected to the extreme by
the weather. When it was raining, you just DID NOT mess with Mrs. King. But the
next day when the sun was out she was the most chipper cheerful teacher in the
entire school. She seemed like a completely different person.
So how do you deal with the weather blues? Well, make your
favorite hot drink. Curl up with a good book that’s been collecting dust on the
bookshelf or your bedside table. Bake cookies. I like going to museums when
it’s raining. Clean your room. PRACTICE (although, you should be practicing
every day rain or shine. But now you have an excuse to take an extra long
practice session). There are so many things that have to get done inside, so
you might as well do them when you’re stuck inside. That way, when you are free
to be outside, the feeling will be that much sweeter.
No comments:
Post a Comment