Believe it or not, there is a right and wrong way to approach new music. A non-singer most likely doesn't know the amount of work and effort that is put into even a simple art song. Some snobby instrumentalists think we have it easy, but I would have to respectfully disagree. Although singers have words that help them expres the music, we also have to put in the work to understand what the words mean to us, the performer, and what we are supposed to portray to the audience.
The first step I take is look up a piece on Spotify or YouTube. Technology is great for all these steps, my dad complains on how easy I have it :P I listen or watch others performing the piece just to get it in my head. If it's a foreign language, I look up and write the IPA and translations into my score. (Before that, I copy the piece so it's nice and clean for any pianist who will play for me. Always be nice to your accompanist). I pluck the notes on the piano then sing them in rhytm notes etc on one syllable. Then I go back and listen again, to people who are fluent in the language. If the text is based off a poem, I read about the poet as well. Then I think about a character. Op Shop has taught me to do this fully and well. Why does this person start singing? How do they feel throughout the whole piece? How does it change? What hints does the music give away about the character? Where are they in the scene? Who else is in the scene? Why does this person stop singing? The questioning can go on and on and deeper until you are no longer yourself when you sing this piece. That's why acting is so important in this form. There is the challenge of language, musiciality and then theatrics. Opera singers in particular really do have to do it all well. Plus the costumes lights camera ACTION on the big stage. Having an audience there makes it all the more special. Performers all have the zone they get into when they are performing. That feeling is why all the hard work pays off. It's the best feeling in the world.
PS. The CIM fall opera is Alcina by Handel. More deats to come.
Until next time
sopranodivaEm
No comments:
Post a Comment