Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Appreciating the Arts

It makes me sad how so many people in today's society lose the experience of the serenity that any of the arts can offer. All in today I spent several hours in the Cleveland Art Museum, shaking my head at the talent of so many people, reading classic litertaure, walking thru a park complete with fountains and many blooming trees. And of course, the music that is made at my school every day constantly deserves recognition. I've never felt so calm and empty-headed in my entire life before today. It was the most marvelous feeling. I intend to return to the museum tomorrow.
But these tecnological distractions take away from all of that. I was happy to see several school groups of young children, and even mothers taking their children to the art museum today. Art can expand all of our minds whether we participate in it or just enjoy it. There is a reason it exists. In elementary, once or twice a year, parents of the classroom would come in a present certain Art Appreciation or Music Appreciation. I hope schools continue those programs. As I was looking at many European paintings today, I recalled my trip to the many museums in Italy and couldn't help but smile at the memory. It fed my want to visit Paris even more, to experience the art-filled city and the culture and the music. I truly hope I can study abroad there junior year.
So take it from me, and take a break from Netflix for a few hours and go to a local art museum, go to free concerts in the park, expand your mind. Or simply go for a walk in the park and enjoy the natural art that spring brings every year. The experience is more calming than any spa day that has ever happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment