Wednesday, July 2, 2014

May the 4th be with you, in July

There is something about celebrating the 4th of July that always gets me excited about music. Sure there's the barbaraques, fireworks, cute red white and blue sales. But then there are always patriotice music filled concerts. I think some of the most beautiful music ever written is inspired by the patriotism to ones country. Even a simple tune like America the Beautiful is so moving when you add strings brass woodwind and fireworks along with the voice. So many slavery songs are moving that have come out from the Civil War.
 I've sung the Star-Spangled Banner at several sporting events my junior and senior year of high school. I absolutely loved doing it. I felt like I was giving the piece and my country the justice it deserves. I cringe any time I hear the "star spangled banner" sung with too many extra notes and straight tone. I'm pretty sure improv and such vocal techniques weren't acceptable at the time Francis Scott Key was inspired by a strong-standing American flag. So why our nation's anthem is sung that way now, I can't really tell you. I wish it weren't that way. Thanks to Ms. Fleming doing a phenomenal job at this year's Super Bowl, the public is beginning to realize that the anthem should always be sung that way. All opera singers/lovers nationally are rejoicing at this outcome. 
We're on the right path to bring the music we love back to the common people's attention. See ya, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus. You all had a nice run but it's time to step aside and retire your music. 
#operasnob #sorrynotsorry
Until next time,
sopranodivaem 💜

No comments:

Post a Comment