Thursday, April 17, 2014

Some background

Sometimes I think that the more you talk about who you are as a person to others, the more you figure it out for yourself. So why not take the opportunity to do it again?
I'm from Chicago. I have three younger siblings. I have two loving and supportive parents. I met my boyfriend through my home church. Music has always been a part of my life, and I plan to make a career out of it. I'm not the most "well-off" person you'll come across, but I'm not scrambling either. I hope to live my life financially so I'm not living off peanut butter and water from my sink at the end of every month. You know, comfortably.
I'm a freshman at the Cleveland Institute of Music. I study with Dr. Southern, a published and accomplished performer and teacher. I'm eager to learn many things from him. I absolutely love CIM. The singer community is small, close and yet still competitive. I'm one of about twelve undergrads, but singing with about 60 other grad/professional studies students constantly makes it seem like the real world. All the other instrumentalists I've come across so far are all passionate and willing to learn about everyone's forms. I feel like the music world will be much more genuine if we appreciate all instruments and the skill it takes to do it well. Theory will never be my best friend though.
I work several jobs in the summer. I like to shop, I like coffee every day and I like to go out and have fun. I don't want to ask my parents for money because they are already paying for half of my education. They have three other kids after me to get through college too. I feel like it's my responsibilty as an older sister to be sure they have the same resources and opportunity as I have. I feel so fortunate.
And I've been through some traumatic experiences that have made me appreciate life more than ever before.
But I'm not ready to share that sob story yet. I want y'all to like my blog first before I bring some clouds to your sunny day.
It's 50 degrees, breezy and sunny in Cleveland. It feels wonderful. The last thing I want to do is sit in a practice room and perfect this folk song for class.
But alas, such is the life of a conservatory student.
Until next time.
sopranodivaEm

No comments:

Post a Comment