Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mozart's Muses

Feminism has been in existence for much longer than any research that has been recorded. Media has been in existence just as long. When today’s teenagers hear the word “media”, they think of technology, Facebook, the top 100 list of pop songs. When I hear the word “media”, I think of music. When I think of music, I think of opera and my favorite composers. Mozart will always hold a special place in my heart, giving me so many wonderful arias that have helped shape the musician I am today. This assignment led me to wonder: who were the women in Mozart’s life? How did they shape the beautiful music he created? How were these women perceived in society compared to other women? Here are my findings:
Mozart became particularly close with the Weber family during his days of travel and composing in various countries in Europe. He became even closer with two of their daughters, first the eldest Aloysia, then the middle Constanze. Aloysia was the money maker for the family, the young beautiful girl that had the voice ever composer, including Mozart, wanted to write for. Mozart wrote many letters to his father during his travels. One he wrote about Aloysia told this story: “I have also set to music the aria Non so donde viene etc [K294], … for Mlle Weber… When it was finished, I said to Mlle Weber, ‘Learn the aria yourself. Sing to me and afterwards I will tell you candidly what pleases and what displeases me.’ After a couple of days I went to the Webers and she sang it for me, accompanying herself. I was obliged to confess that she had sung it exactly as I wished and as I should have taught it to her myself” (104 Glover). Aloysia made Mozart’s music come alive, as well as his human soul. Composers strive for that perfect person, in this case, soprano, to bring the music they hear in their head out in the open. When Mozart found Aloysia and she did this for his music so naturally, he fell in love with her and her talents.
But unfortunately, Aloysia was not as in love with Mozart as she was with what his music did for her career. When Mozart returned to the Weber household after traveling through Italy, the second Weber daughter caught his attention. Although Constanze did not have the same artistic talent that her sister did, her passion for Mozart and his music was more than fulfilling for him. He spoke of her in this way: “My dear Constanze is really the cause of this fugue’s coming into the world[…] she asked me if I had ever written any down, and when I had said I had not, she scolded me […] and never ceased to entreat me until I wrote down a fugue for her. So that is its origin” (121 Glover).  Despite Mozart’s father’s wishes, and the multiple public rumors, the two got married without any financial agreement. Mozart loved Constanze with all his heart. She gave him motivation and passion to create his music. Sometimes all a human being needs is another to believe in their capabilities.
I find it strange and scandalous that Mozart found two muses out of one family. I can only imagine the awkward wedding poses and family get togethers with both sisters and Mozart in such close space. But, in Mozart’s time, life was shorter scientifically than it is today. Each moment and each relationship matters and adds to creating memories and music.  “Art is long and life is short” (Davis 353). Earning the privilege to help create music that would be enjoyed for lifetimes long after theirs, Mozart’s women knew they were helping to create beautiful, artistic music.

It is in women’s nature to take care of their men. The Weber sisters took care of Mozart differently, but it was as meaningful to them as it was to him. “ ‘It was the only thing I knew. I was looking for a comfort’” (Thompson 345). The same way women today look to food or control of their bodies, women of Mozart’s time looked to a man to take care of them, and in return, take care of him as well. Mozart’s women knew they would be taken care of as long as they fed his creative needs and inspiration. The only difference between today’s women and the women of Mozart’s time is the approach women take to changing the world. Mozart’s muses took an indirect approach in assisting one of the best composers of all time. Today, women take direct action themselves. They got tired of standing in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment